GUEST ADVENTURES, YOU SAY?
Heard about these already? Then scroll on past and get to Shane’s adventure!
If it’s your first time reading, let us quickly explain. Each week we’re sent and tagged in SO many brilliant photos on social media, from your travels around Northern Ireland.
We try to feature as many locations as possible in our Fan Pic Friday feature each week, to give you lots of ideas for places to visit.
But we’ve also spotted some like-minded people who we really want you to know about. Their photos, videos and stories pop up each week, instantly making us want to stop what we’re doing… and go join them on an adventure.
And some day we will.
But for now, we’re inviting them to takeover our channels.
This week, it’s Shane Baggley.
We first started seeing Shane’s pics pop up from his adventures around Glenariff and The Mournes…
…and for his Guest Adventure this week, he’s chosen an equally as stunning location…
What better place to spend a sunny day than at The Gobbins cliff walk with family.
This is something I’ve been trying to do. With it being completely booked out when if first opened and then closed for construction, I thought I’d never get to experience it.
Thankfully, it was back open again last year…and eventually a date was in our diary for family day out.
As with everywhere we go, we did a quick bit of research for what to expect and bring.
Necessary are walking boots/shoes - but it’s fine if you don't have a pair, as they can be rented on site..
You’ll also receive a hard hat when there, as it’s SO easy to bump your head on the walk with all the over-hanging rock.
The visitor centre is great, with its own cafe, serving hot drinks, snacks or even a tasty lunch for after.
There’s also a room full of information about The Gobbins history - very interesting.
We then met our guide Hilary - lovely woman!
You’ll be given safety information and then your minibus awaits, to take you to the start of the walk 😁
In our group, there were 15 people - a great chance to meet others from all over the world.
My main tip is ensure you have plenty of water, food and snacks for energy - especially if you’ve kids with you!
We all brought our own supportive hiking boots and I carry two walking poles in case little legs get tired!
Luckily for us we had amazing weather, but do check before you go.
All-in, the walk is around 3 miles.
The only struggle being the hill at the end, as you head back up to where the minibus dropped you off earlier.
If you’re into bird watching, there are plenty in and around the cliffs.
Watch yourself going into the caves though, as we had a funny moment where a seagull flying through had grown men screaming 😂
Check out thegobbinscliffpath.com for more info.
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the pics!
GUEST ADVENTURER BIO:
Try and Fail, but Never Fail to Try 😃⚽️⛳️🏌️🍀
I just love adventuring in my spare time….trying to help people with ideas of what to get up to, by taking amateur shots from my phone.
The thing I love about photography is how everyone has their own perspective and view of a shot.
If you want to follow my adventures, say hello on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shanebaggley/
THE GOBBINS - TICKET GIVEAWAY
TERMS AND CONDITIONS (+ INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTRY)
2. Giveaway open to Northern Ireland residents aged 18 years and over, except employees, families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the parties mentioned above.
3. By entering, you agree to be contacted by the parties involved about the giveaway and for the parties to use the information submitted for any purpose in connection with the promotion only.
4. Giveaway starts on Monday 8th July 2019 at 6.30pm and closes on Monday 15th July 2019 at 11.59am .
5. There is one prize - entry to The Gobbins for 2 adults. Transport to/from The Gobbins is not included. More info on The Gobbins (facilities, what to bring, safety info, ticket terms etc) here.
6. Entry to the giveaway is by mentioning on any of the NI EXPLORER Facebook or Instagram giveaway posts who the entrant would bring if they won and liking that giveaway post.
7. Only one entry per platform. One person can enter on both Facebook and Instagram - therefore having two entries in total. Winner will be selected at random across all entries.
8. The winner will be announced after midday Monday 15th July 2019, on this page (links will be posted on the NI EXPLORER Facebook and Instagram accounts to the announcement). Winner will be contacted via private message on the respective platform that they entered on and will have 48 hours to accept prize, otherwise a new winner will be drawn.
9. The winner’s contact details will then be passed to team at Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, who will subsequently contact them to arrange the prize.
10. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternatives in whole or in part are available.
11. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook or Instagram. By entering this promotion you understand that you are providing your information to the parties involved and not to Facebook or Instagram. Your information will not be used for any other purpose than to be contacted if you have been chosen as the winner.
12. NI EXPLORER and the parties involved reserve the right to vary, alter or terminate this promotion due to unforeseen circumstances. The decision of NI EXPLORER is final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into.
LATEST NEWS & ADVENTURES 👇